September 23, 2015, Gorham, ME, USA – Montalvo, international specialists in web tension control, has launched their latest innovation in open loop tension control, the TSC™ Torque Sensing Control System. For the first time ever in an open loop control system, you get a precise, reliable tension reference that operators can use to ensure consistent, high quality production runs without load cells or a dancer. Patent pending technology allows easy integration into existing machines as well as new machine builds. Customers can customize their TSC™ packages based on their needs and products they currently have. TSC™ components can include the U4 Tension Controller, V or CS Series Brake, TS Torque Sensor, US4 Ultrasonic Sensor or Proximity Switches, M4 Meter, and an MPC4 I to P Converter.
Applications Specialist Tony Holmes says, “The quality of an open loop tension control system is highly dependent on the quality of the brake/motor/drive as well as the quality and experience of the machine operator, and can sometimes be very challenging to achieve consistent, high quality results because of this. However, now with the Torque Sensing Control System™, you get an actual, calibrated measurement of torque. Combined with the roll radius measurement, the system is able to display calculated web tension that operators can use to set and maintain precise tension throughout the production run, from full roll to core. Combined with the responsive, linear torque delivery of Montalvo Brakes, tension verification, available for the first time ever in open-loop tension control systems via the TS Torque Sensor, creates a highly precise, consistent, and high performance system.”
The TSC™ is ideal for applications where:
- The machine cannot accommodate load cells or retrofits (space limitations, costs, etc.).
- There is no defined web path or web is traveling directly from unwind roll into the process.
- The web cannot be contacted after unwind by rollers or requires minimal roller contact (coating, films, foils, etc.).
- Multiple unwind stands that each require cost effective, simple control, and a simple web path (sheeters, laminators).
- Existing open-loop system, but want to improve consistency and quality of your production.
- Utilizing a PLC or similar system and want to control torque with minimal modification and effort.
Since 1947 the Montalvo Corporation has specialized in manufacturing, integrating, retrofitting and servicing a wide range of tension control products for a variety of industries including, converting, paper, film, foil, nonwovens, plastic, corrugated, packaging, medical, composite and more. Montalvo’s products include load cells, tension controllers, tension indicators, amplifiers, tension control brakes and clutches, sensors and safety chucks. Montalvo has four worldwide offices in the USA, Denmark, Germany & China. http://www.montalvo.com
For additional information please visit the Torque Sensing Control System product page on Montalvo’s website.